As I view different ministries and am asked to evaluate them, I realize that there are some basic “non-negotiables” that you must have that apply to any children’s ministry. Here they are, in no particular order:
- A purpose – Why are you doing what you are doing?
- Communication – Among leadership, with children and families
- Relationships – If you don’t know them, if they don’t trust you, you will not be able to speak in to their lives
- Passion/Enthusiasm – If you don’t care, neither will others
- Prayer – It helps keep our focus
- Fun – It makes it relational, but shouldn’t be all you have
- Engaging/Interactive – It should gain the attention of the children and have them involved.
- The One True God – Going a long with purpose, we are in ministry to tell people about God, to train them to tell others. If God is not leading your ministry, it will fall.
I plan to comment more on each one to help you evaluate your ministry as the school/ministry year ends.
What else would you add to the list?